How to Make Sun-Dried Tomatoes | Tomato Recipe | Allrecipes.com
DIY Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Sun-dried tomatoes are a real treat. They’re intensely flavorful, last longer than fresh tomatoes, and make a delicious addition to salads, sandwiches, and omelettes. They can be expensive, but you can cut down on the cost by making your own. You can use a dehydrator if you have one, or your oven. Most people use Roma tomatoes, but you can use any variety. Just make sure the tomatoes are firm. Once you try DIY Sun-Dried Tomatoes, you’ll never go back to store-bought ones!
1.Remove the skins (optional) If you want to remove the skins, boil the tomatoes for about 1 minute, then put them in ice water. The skins should come off easily.
2. Slice them so they’re approximately the same thickness One sliced, remove the core by cutting a small “v” in the bottom of each piece.
3. Remove the seeds (optional)This isn’t necessary if you’re using tomatoes with very few seeds.
4. Season the tomatoes Toss them in a bowl with salt and any other herbs of your choice. Basil, thyme, and oregano are tasty options!
5. Cook them in your oven or with a dehydratorWhen done, they shouldn’t have any water left. They should be shriveled and leathery, but not tough.
6. Store the tomatoes in vacuum-sealed bags, or place them in jars and cover with olive oil. They keep longest in vacuum-sealed bags in the freezer, but if you keep jars in the fridge, they will still last a few weeks.
1. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting Anywhere from 150 to 200 degrees should work fine.
2. Arrange the tomatoes on cooling racksThe cut side should be facing up. You can use non-stick cookie sheets if you don’t have cooling racks, but make sure that you then flip or stir them periodically.
3. Allow them to cook until they’re done This could take anywhere from 4 to 12 hours, depending on the juiciness and thickness of the tomatoes.
1. Set the dehydrator to 140 degrees
2. Arrange the tomatoes on the racks Place them cut side up.
3. Allow them to cook until they’re doneIt will take approximately 3-8 hours. Use a spatula to flip them over halfway through the process.
Video: Italian homemade sun dried tomatoes
FinCEN Treasury employee leaked SAR information on Manafort, Gates: Indictment
When Tina Fey And Amy Poehler Do British Accents It Is Most Entertaining
Beat weekend weight gain with our 30-minute lunch break blitz
Roger Federer Proves Hollywood Black Tie Is Alive And Well
5 Positions to Try If Sex Is Painful forYou
5 Easy ways you can improve your LinkedIn profile
Eat More Saturated Fats, Lower Your Sperm Count
How to Make Bake Sale Goodies
How to Keep Your Nails Healthy
How to Achieve As a Teen
25 Best Worst Boxed Mac and Cheese